The Power of Weakness

Sunday, May 24, 2009


2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (New International Version)
9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In the 21st verse of the previous chapter, we learn that boasting in anything other than Christ's power in our weakness is foolishness. Credentials, esteem, popularity, skills, education, finances, status, etc. are considered foolish things to boast about because none of them draw anybody to glorify God.

Powerful people walk by faith because they recognize that they are too weak to walk by sight regardless of how good that sight may seem.

Who does God boast about? See Heb. 11 which is full of people that recognized they were too weak not to walk by faith.

Jesus said, "Those who are well have no need for a physician, but those who are sick."

Conclusion: We must understand 2 truths -
1. It is God's will for us to live according to His standards (which includes holiness) for the rest of our lives!
2. It is impossible for us to live according to God's standards for the rest of our lives!

The realization of these 2 truths should compel us to approach God in weakness in order to be raised in power and fulfill truth #1.

1 comments:

Mantle Ministries said...

This was great. It was an encouragement way over here in Colombia.