Entire Sanctification

Sunday, November 30, 2008

I just wanted to post a couple of quotes out of a book I was reading recently. The motivation for this post is my concern that Christians don't believe holiness is possible anymore. That's why we constantly here preachers make comments like, "nobody's perfect," "we are all sinners," "we will always sin," etc. I'm sure that many of you automatically raised your emotional defenses because of the fact that these teachings are so commonplace and accepted in our churches. This is a subject I'm very passionate about and would love some discussion. Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments after you read the quotes below:

"Bishop Thomson, at the West Virginia Conference, in his last clerical address a few days before his death said: 'The justified and regenerate discover in themselves the remains of the carnal mind. If you accept the theory that you are sanctified when you are justified, if you find the remains of sin after you experience regeneration, you will be led to a melancholy conclusion. The opposite view, that we cannot be made pure, is equally pernicious.'
Bishop William Taylor: "It is not optional with a believer to go on to perfection or not. It is his imperative duty just as fast as the Holy Ghost gives him light and applies the command to his conscience. After the soul is established in the grace of pardon wherein he stands, the Holy Sanctifier sheds increasing light into the heart of the young believer and reveals its inherent depravity to an alarming degree. . . . Our only safety is to obey God and go on to perfection."
Dr. Asa Mahan (president of Oberlin College): "Both blessings, justification and entire sanctification, stand distinctly revealed in the Word of God as available on the same conditions, and for the same identical reasons; they are objects of faith and expectation, and the individual who professes to have received the one blessing makes no more incredible profession than he who professes to have received the other. Through faith, it is the privilege and duty of every believer to be saved to the uttermost, sanctified wholly, and his spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless; for after regeneration, there awaits the faith of the believer 'the promise of the Father,' the Holy Ghost."
Bishop Mallalieu: "From the very first years of my ministry I have held with Adam Clarke, Richard Watson, John Fletcher, and John Wesley that regeneration and sanctification are separate and distinct one from the other and therefore received at different times. They are both received by faith, and the last one is the privilege of every believer as the first is of every penitent."
Taken from
Foundations of Doctrine
In Scripture and Experience
by Harry E. Jessop, D.D.
President Emeritus of Vennard College
copyright 1938

7 comments:

Keri said...

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 May GOD himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your WHOLE spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The ONE who calls you is FAITHFUL and HE will do it!

Jaimie said...

The phrase 'through and through' leads me to believe that sanctification is an ongoing process...that anytime sin is present it is immediately recognized (by knowledge of God's Word) and we are brought into submission to God's Word (by our obedience to His ways along with the power of the Holy Spirit, which is all made possible through Christ) - therefore becoming slaves to righteousness rather than slaves to sin (Romans). Do you believe that christians should come to a place when we no longer have need for God's mercy & forgiveness on a daily basis?Thanks:)

Jaimie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tommy Sheerer said...

Do you believe that Christian should come to a place when we no longer have a need for God's mercy and forgiveness on a daily basis?

Answer:
We are always in need of God's grace and mercy. However, the reason for the continual mercy and grace is not because we continually sin. The reason for the grace and mercy if because we recognize that living holy before God is impossible without His grace and mercy and power in our lives.

To answer the question within the question: Yes, I believe we can live completely holy and blameless lives for the rest of our lives through the power of the Holy Spirit. However, we will never get to that point until we come to the realization of our desperate need for Jesus' grace and power in our lives. When we are desperate, we seek Jesus; when we seek, we find.

I don't only believe this is possible; I believe this is expected by God.

Although it is a process, it is expected to be attained in this life.

Jaimie said...

"We are always in need of God's grace and mercy. However, the reason for the continual mercy and grace is not because we continually sin."...

I definately agree with this statement - I guess I am not actually referring to "sin". For example: Moments in which I could have/should have been more gentle.

Tommy Sheerer said...

I think we're on the same page. I think those situations that you are referring to are a matter of maturing in God.

The first quote I posted talks about how sanctification (being made completely holy and pure), and regeneration/justification (being born again/forgiven) do not happen at the same time.

I believe that at conversion you are given a new spirit (new creation) but it is through the sanctification process that your soul (mind, will, and emotions) are renewed and ultimately made holy with no sin or carnal nature whatsoever. Both are impossible and both are attained by faith.

The phrase 'through and through' really means 'wholly' or 'entirely' or 'completely.' This is even more reason that God completely sanctifies us.

I think we're just not taught this and therefore don't believe this is possible and therefore never walk in it.

By the way, I'm loving this conversation.

Jaimie said...

Yes...I do believe we are on the same page. Thank God, because I started to wonder for a minute there if I was really saved - But I know that I could NEVER doubt my salvation:) I am a new creation and I know that I know that I KNOW that God has changed my heart - I just have some growing to do)! Good talk:) And keep the posts coming...